Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Icicles

Icicles as tall as 7 feet (click once to enlarge)
Ever since I saw my first icicle in the winter of 1981, I have always been fascinated by icicles. They form independently of anything else going on in the world. They are formed by the thawing of the melting snow and ice as the drip drip of the melted snow keeps accumulating while the temperatures turn colder once again. 

This happens usually overnight when the temperature drops. Then in the morning as daylight appears, these huge icicles appear, some of them as tall as six to seven feet. I took these photos a week ago when we had 2 feet of snow between Friday and Saturday. By Sunday morning, these icicles were everywhere around our school and church building. Some of our custodians and sacristans were asking me if they should break them off. Of course my response was ”Not before I take a few good photos...” As you can see, it was worth every one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment