Thursday, September 20, 2012

Flashback to 50 years ago

My family in 1962
Tomorrow Malta celebrates its Independence Day, a historic day that took place in 1964, when it gained Independence from England. In anticipation of tomorrow's landmark, I go back 50 years to share a family photo from 1962 with my parents, my two sisters and my brother. Our younger brother Marcel was born in 1964. 

School bus pass photo

At this time I was still at the local Primary School in St Julian's, before I started the Secondary education first at Naxxar Technical school and later at the Minor Seminary in Floriana. The Primary School was a brand new building, which we moved in around 1962, and was a welcome addition to our education process. At that time each student going to Secondary schools had to have a bus pass for a reduction of the bus fare, which was minimal nonetheless. 
The St Julian''s Primary School Staff in the early 60s
It was also a turbulent time for Maltese politics as the Church and State relationship were not good, especially between 1958 and 1962, but Independence calmed things down in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment