Sunday, July 15, 2012

Heaven on earth


I share with you today one of the best photos I took during my recent visit to Rome. It was early in the morning, around 8:30AM when I took this photo of three beams of light coming through the windows of St Peter's Basilica at the Vatican. I always arrived at my destination early enough before the deluge of tourists arrive later in the morning. This allowed for better photography and visiting the various landmarks without having to bump shoulders with other tourists.

The Basilica of St Peter's was a combination of various architects: Donata Bramante, Antonio de Sangallo the younger, Michelangelo, Jacopo Barozzi da Vignola, Giacomo della Porta, Carlo Maderno and Gianlorenzo Bernini. It is Renaissance and Baroque in style and it took 120 years to construct. The groundbreaking was on Aril 18, 1506, and it was completed on November 18, 1626. The main altar under the famous Bernini baldacchino is bathed with heavenly light, and as I titled this post, this is truly 'heaven on earth.'

No comments:

Post a Comment